By Tambah Marenah, MS Exercise Science, CPT
Adding a consistent exercise routine or physical activity to your everyday life is a very important part of living a healthy lifestyle. An exercise routine can consist of aerobic exercises like walking, jogging, running etc., Anerobic exercises such as sprinting, jumping and strength training can also be incorporated in an exercise routine anerobic exercises have great benefits. All these exercises/workouts help with not only one’s physical well-being but also has a positive impact on one’s mental health.
Three physical benefits of strength training:
- Increase muscle mass: As we age naturally, we lose muscle mass, and when incorporated in our exercise routines strength training helps grow lean muscle mass and gain more strength to support our kinetic chain.
- Help manage weight: Strength helps us maintain and manage our weight, when strength training is incorporated in our exercise routines it helps with fat burn and promotes the growth of lean muscle.
- Help improve balance: As we age, we lose power and strength, and again strength training helps us increase bone density. Proper strength training helps improve balance, flexibility and most importantly it helps reduce the risk of falls and fall related injuries. Strength training also helps us slow down cognitive function decline.
Three mental benefits of strength training:
- Reduce stress: When you exercise and incorporate strength or resistance training in your routine your brain releases chemicals called endorphins that help promote happiness.
- Increased quality sleep: Strength training helps improve sleep because it helps regulate resting glucose metabolism, blood pressure, metabolic rate and helps release stress.
- Increase self-confidence/esteem: Strength training helps lose fat and promote the growth of lean muscle, so it helps men and women build self-esteem and confidence.
By Becky Reece Many people are choosing to be outdoors more since COVID 19. Whether you live by the ocean, mountains or somewhere in-between, more than likely you’ve seen a rise in…
Are you baffled by clean eating and wondering where to start? If you’re like most people, you are completely confused about where to begin. Most of us were raised with healthy foods,…